Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pinkies Up: High Tea with OC Notes.

Otis Calvin III, or OC Notes, is becoming a Cairo regular. Well, why wouldn't he? He's fucking cool. I recently had the pleasure of interviewing OC3 here at Cairo, and we discussed everything from the magic of cable-knit sweaters to Funkedelic's One Nation Under a Groove.
As 1/2 of local hiphop group Metal Chocolates with rapper Rik Rude, Otis produces psychedelic beats for "the whole world. Everybody, really." Yeah? NPR and The Seattle Times think so, and so do we! So much in fact, that OC Notes will be performing at Cairo's winter music fest, EXPO89! Woot.

So check out those photos, and read that interview. Or look at more photos.

Jewelry from Iacoli & McCallister. NEWLY Available at Cairo.
"I feel very lucky that I started out playing instruments and singing in choir. I understand the spirit of truth that you express through music, instead of making a beat.That's just playing with noise."

"This sweater makes me feel like it's christmas dinner, man. And I got allll the money in the family."

"Never"
"Stop"

Our Interview:
Are you from Seattle?
Arizona. My father is in the military and I lived all over the place for a long time. I spent the most time in Washington State, though.

What is most inspiring about Washington to you?
Nature. The mountains.

Where is the most exciting place you've travelled to?
Germany, I think. Europe is hella cool. The food is really good, the people are nice. It's unreal.

What are you doing when you're not making music?
Sleeping! No, I have a daughter, so I'm with her a lot. She's advanced. She's really bossy. She's a double Leo. I also like to try new things to do, like random shit. This lifestyle is so stressful, you know? You're not allowed to just be satisfied in anything you do.

What's your favorite kid's cereal?
Cinnamon Toast Crunch, man. That's the best cereal ever.

Favorite show growing up?
I was a huge fan of Seinfeld. That shit is great! I love that show. My life is like Seinfeld.

Do you have a style icon or influence?
I'm inspired by not giving a fuck about my style. I can't think about it. Takes too much time in the day. Those are my favorite styles, people who don't think about it ever. Hard work, that's the best style of all time.

Who would you love to play a show with?
Madlib, without a doubt.

What is the best part about collaborating with Fresh Espresso's Rik Rude?
We work really well together. He's really passionate about what he does, and about what he doesn't. His quality of work is better than most people who try twice as hard, too.

What is one thing you will never be able to give up?
I am never going to stop making music. I'm never going to stop trying to make something with my music, that's for sure. I'm glad the press likes my music as much as they do...I just need to get the rest of the world to like it.

Do you ever get starstruck?
Man, I am always starstruck. I get starstruck by Ish [Shabazz Palaces] and even Rik Rude! They are so hardworking and impressive. I'm all shy and shit, so I don't know how to approach a conversation.

Who are your favorite musicians and collaborators in Seattle?
Musicians? Stas and Cat [of THEESatisfaction], all the Wheedle's Groove cats, Darrius Willrich, Jahon Mikal. And of course, Ishmael and Tendai [of Shabazz Palaces] are mindblowing.

What was the best show you saw recently?
I would say Don't Talk to the Cops at Reverb Fest. That's the first one that comes to mind. I love their energy on stage.

What was the best show you played recently?
Metal Chocolates' show at the Triple Door was filthy? The Annika show was filthy too--I wrote 5 new songs for it.

What do you think is different or original about the Seattle hiphop scene?
I think that people are getting really inspired by the weird shit. I don't think people were expecting it to get so popular. I think people thought there was a certain recipe for hiphop, but now they are realizing you need to be an artist, not a businessman.

Where was your first-ever date?
Damn. I think I took this chick to the movies when I was in junior high school. My mom drove us. It was a really awkward situation. I just remember thinking, "damn, this is so lame."

What are your favorite spots to hangout in Seattle?
I like to go to Niho Sushi. I go to The Lo-fi sometimes too. They care a lot about the music.

Who is your target audience?
The whole world. Everybody, really. I really want to make music that everybody can listen to. I wanted to have something for everybody at some point. Well, people with open minds: I dont want to make music for people who make all the problems.

Do you have any music that you are the most proud of?
I made a record called This is Your Brain on Drugs. It's filthy, but no one's ever heard it. It's some of the most universal music I've made, though.

Convinced? Help a friend out!
Metal Chocolates also tweet, whatever that means!

and HEY. HAVE A GOOD THANKSGIVING. IT'S THE HOLIDAYS!!

No comments: